Bristow Elementary School is proud to become a national demonstration site for Play On! The program is a standards-based physical education initiative that promotes overall fitness, learning, and fun on the playground! Developed by Shape America and authored by experts from Louisiana State University, Play On! focuses on overall physical fitness while imploring six essential elements of play. Play On! gets kids actively moving on the playground to help combat childhood obesity and encourage healthy lifestyles.
This program fully aligns with the national physical education standards and can help promote moderate to vigorous levels of physical activity to combat childhood obesity. Play On!® was developed to provide educators with an easy to implement hands-on fitness guide and program for the playground that is effective and simple to use.
They conducted a national study to evaluate the program that provided specific information about the correlation between the program and physical activity benefits. Fourteen schools were selected through a national Beta Site selection process through SHAPE America, in which schools submitted an application to volunteer to participate in the research. Approximately 6,000 children from 14 beta sites in 5 states participated from February to May 2009. Research included a series of pre– and post– intervention surveys completed by the teacher, children, parents, as well as two focus groups at one of the Beta Sites to qualitatively measure physical activity and skill development. The research findings showed that:
- 91% of teachers reported that playground use increased
- 90% of teachers plan to use the program in the future
- 100% rated the program 4-5 on a 5 point scale
- 25% of parents participated in more family activity after the Play On! program was initiated
- 100% of students reported having fun engaging in the activities
- 90-100% of teachers reported that Play On! motivated students to participate in regular, enjoyable, physical activity in a safe and supervised environment
Play On includes 125 age-appropriate activity cards, as well as helpful teacher tools like worksheets to help design sessions & track student progress, and send home guides in both English and Spanish to encourage family participation in regular activity