Welcome to Bristow Elementary!
Dear Bristow Community:
The 2023-2024 school year is rapidly approaching. As we draw near to the start of a new school year, we look forward to seeing you and your scholar(s) back in school and would like to provide you with some helpful information to set our scholars and their families up for a successful start.
NEW for 2023-24 CHROMEBOOK FEE: Bristow Elementary School is a one to one device environment. All scholars will be provided a school device. Chromebooks are school managed devices which allow for monitoring during instructional time as well as application and instruction resource pushout directly to students. The Bristow SBDM Council has adopted a new technology fee of $25 per student. As long as there is no damage to the device, This will be a one time fee that will provide your child with a device for their entire elementary career at Bristow Elementary. An additional fee will be charged if there is damage to the device. The additional fee will be $25 the following school year after damage as long as the damage does not result in complete loss of the device. Damage that results in a loss of the device will incur a fee up to $300 or the depreciated value of the device
1. Kindergarten Jump Start Camp: Bristow Elementary will host a Kindergarten Jumpstart Camp July 24th through July 26th 8:00-12:00 PM. During this time our Kindergarten Scholars will meet the kindergarten teachers and assistants, participate in activities to aid in the transition to kindergarten as well as participate in our annual Brigance Kindergarten Screener that is required for all students entering Kindergarten. Please fill out this form if you have a child that will be attending our camp. We look forward to a great jumpstart.
2. Open House will be Sunday, August 6th. Grades K-2 will be held from 2:00-3:00 and grades 3-6 will be held 3:30-4:30. This will be a come and go event for our families to meet and greet our teachers. Parents/Guardians will receive teacher assignment messages from infinite campus prior to open house.
3. Car rider tags will be available at Open House. The car rider tags are a different color each year and every car rider will need a new tag. We ask that you place these on your rear view mirror for an easy, streamlined procedure at dismissal.
4. We will be unlocking our doors at 6:50 a.m. to accept our scholars into the building. Please do not bring scholars prior to this time unless you desire to get in the car rider line early having the children wait in the car until the doors open at 6:50 a.m. Scholars may not be dropped off in the front of the school. Any scholar arriving after the 7:20 am school bell will need to be checked into the office by the adult bringing the student(s) to school.
5. The car rider procedures and bus entrance will remain the same. Car riders will be in the back of the building and buses will be in the front. Please be advised that we do have several families with children who have special needs that will utilize the inside lane of the car rider line. This allows the flow of the line to continue to move while these families unload. Cars should not pull out around another car as we will position employees strategically to keep the cars moving. Parking in the rear of the building will be for faculty/staff only. Parents are to use the car rider line or park in the front parking lot and walk children into the building. Scholars cannot be allowed to enter the front of the building without a parent to ensure student safety. Also, please note that the Kentucky Department of Transportation will begin construction to extend the inbound turning lane as well as create u-turn lanes on Louisville Road shortly after school begins. We have received communication that no construction will take place during our arrival and dismissal windows.
We ask that you please be patient with us as we start the new year. We expect there will be some traffic congestion for the first few days of school with parents bringing their scholars to school. It will get better with each passing day. The first day of school is August 9, 2023. Students will report directly to the classrooms on the first day.
6. School begins promptly at 7:20 am. The car rider gate closes at this time. If you should happen to miss the gate closure, please come to the office to check in your scholar. Due to the fact that we should be able to unload several cars at a time, there is ample time for scholars to arrive in the building on time.
7. Once a child has received a total of 6 unexcused tardies and/or absences, he or she will be considered truant per state law and the court system will be notified. The district has updated the attendance policy, scholars will only be allowed 7 parent notes for the school year. The district will also accept 10 doctors notes before requiring the long form.
8. All visitors must sign in when entering the office. We will continue the implementation of the Raptor visitor management system this year. All visitors will be required to have a government ID to visit the building. Goodies brought for birthday treats will need to be left in the office to be delivered. Teachers want to continue the instruction while still being able to celebrate the birthdays of their students.
9. Medication must be brought to school by a parent and be in the original container. A medication form must be completed. Warren County Board Policy prohibits medication from being sent to school by a child. THIS DOES INCLUDE OVER-THE-COUNTER MEDICATION.
10. Our Family Resource and Youth Service Center is here to help all of our families. Mrs. Ashley Sullivan, FRYSC Coordinator and Mrs. Jennie Gamble, Program Assistant are always just a phone call or visit away. Please call them at 270-843-4098 if you need their help.
11. Student handbooks will be available in hard copy, if you desire to have one in paper form. Handbooks can also be referenced on our website. There will be a place on the Emergency Card for you to request a hard copy should you desire.
12. Bristow allows for all scholars to eat breakfast and lunch at no cost. However, it is necessary for families to complete a Household Income Form in order to comply with the Federal Regulations. This form is completely confidential and is sent to the Central Office to comply with the law. This form will be sent home for you to fill out. Please help our district by completing this form to ensure that we do not lose this program.
13. Finally, we would like to invite our community to the Annual Bear Block Party on August 11th from 5:30-7:30. The Bristow PTA and Family Resource Center have partnered to develop this exciting event. There will be fun and snacks for everyone. Please mark your calendars.
Once again, please know that we are planning for an academic year full of opportunities for our children. A lot of this information is for the safety of all our students and families and necessary for us to ensure that students are offered the best learning environment possible. If you need to contact me, please feel free to call me at 270-842-1960 or email me at email@example.com.
Principal Chris Stunson